Our Gastroenterology Blog
Posts for: December, 2018
Don’t let heartburn ruin mealtimes for you. Our doctors in Oak Lawn, Joliet, and New Lenox, IL, can help you manage your acid reflux.
Do you worry that every time you are eating something that afterward you’re going to be dealing with a burning, gnawing feeling in your throat and chest? If so, you could be dealing with a problem known as acid reflux. While acid reflux will happen to most of us at some point, if you are experiencing symptoms frequently then it might be time to turn to one of gastroenterologist Dr. Kamran Ayub's offices in Oak Lawn, Joliet, or New Lenox, IL, to find out what’s going on.
What are the symptoms of acid reflux?
As many as 60 million Americans experience acid reflux at least once a month, according to WebMD. Are you one of them? Well, you might be if you are experiencing,
- Heartburn: a burning sensation in your chest and often the throat.
- Acid in the throat (known as regurgitation)
- Frequent burping
- Nausea after eating
These symptoms often appear if,
- You’ve eaten a heavy or large meal
- You lie down immediately after eating
- If you eat spicy foods
- You are consuming caffeinated beverages or drinking alcohol
You may notice that your acid reflux symptoms get worse at night. Women who are pregnant are also at risk for acid reflux.
When should I visit a gastroenterologist for acid reflux?
While experiencing the occasional bout of acid reflux shouldn’t make you run for the doctor’s office, you should turn to our New Lenox, IL, office if,
- Symptoms get worse or don’t improve with over-the-counter medications
- You have difficult or painful swallowing
- You have unexplained or unexpected weight loss
- You are dealing with nausea or vomiting due to heartburn
- You are vomiting blood
- You feel like you have a lump in your throat
- You develop a persistent cough
- You develop hoarseness or a raspy in your voice
If you are dealing with acid reflux in Oak Lawn, Joliet, or New Lenox, IL, then let our gastrointestinal specialists provide you with the treatment that you need to reduce your heartburn symptoms and to make eating a pain-free experience. For New Lenox, call (708) 475-5233, for Oak Lawn, call (708) 475-5233, and for Joliet, call (708) 475-5233